YOUTH VOLUNTEERS WORK-SITE POLICY
The following rules and regulations governing youth volunteers shall be in force at all times on all Sussex County Habitat for Humanity, Inc. work sites.
1. Minors between the ages of 14 and 15 may engage in limited activities such as clearing lots, landscaping, or painting.
2. Minors under the age of 16 are prohibited from engaging in construction at the work site.
3. Minors between the ages of 16 and 18 (youth volunteers) are permitted to work as volunteers at the construction site according to the following limitations.
a. No youth volunteer shall operate, perform maintenance upon, clean, inspect or work in, about or in connection with any power driven machinery.
b. No youth volunteers shall engage in construction without the safety equipment required by law.
c. No youth volunteer may engage in construction at the work site unless directly supervised by an adult.
d. No youth volunteer shall be exposed to hazardous waste products or other hazardous substances.
e. Youth volunteers shall not be permitted to work on any excavation, scaffolding or roofing.
4. No youth volunteers shall be permitted to work:
a. During school hours
b. Before 7:00 AM
c. After 7:00 PM (except until 9:00 PM between Memorial Day and Labor Day)
d. For more than five (5) consecutive hours without a half hour break
e. For more than 18 hours per week when school is in session.
5. Except for age restrictions, none of these rules apply to work done by New Jersey public or private school pupils under the supervision and instruction of officers or teachers of such schools.
6. None of these rules apply to a youth volunteer who is 17 years of age and employed in the type of work in which the youth volunteer majored under the conditions of a special vocational school graduate permit.